Tips for Health

Reactive Arthritis

By on April 28, 2012 in Diseases, Health, Prevention with 0 Comments

What is reactive arthritis?

Reactive arthritis is a rare condition that can cause joints to swell and hurt, causing pain similar to arthritis. The term “reactive arthritis” means that the immune system is reacting to an infection that the person already has. One type of reactive arthritis called Reiter’s syndrome.

What are the symptoms of reactive arthritis?

You may have swelling in one knee, ankle or toe. Sometimes the heel or Achilles tendon hurt. (The Achilles tendon is on the back of the ankle, just above the heel). You may feel pain or burning when urinating. You may also be discharge from the penis, if male, or discharge from the vagina, if female. The eyes may be red and sore, and you may feel a burning sensation.You may have blurred vision.

What types of infections can cause reactive arthritis?

The same bacteria that causes food poisoning can cause reactive arthritis. They can also provoke some sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea, chlamydia or HIV infection.

Who develops reactive arthritis?

Reactive arthritis is more common in men 20 to 40 years.Women can also develop reactive arthritis, but its symptoms are usually milder.

How can my doctor determine if I have reactive arthritis?

There is no specific test for reactive arthritis. Your doctor will diagnose as its symptoms and other information you collect during your visit.

It is also possible that your doctor wants to do a test to detect an STI, since it is possible to have an STI without knowing it.

How is reactive arthritis?

Your doctor may give you medication for pain and swelling. You may also need antibiotics if you have an STI caused by bacteria. If you have an STI, it is important that you and your sexual partner should also have a tested and treated to prevent the recurrence of STI.

The good news is that in most people, reactive arthritis disappears in 3 to 4 months. In a few people, joint pain returns again and again. If this happens to you, talk to your doctor about what steps can be taken.

What I can do to get better?

  • Take medications.
  • If you have an STI, have your partner carried out a test.
  • Have safe sex.
  • Reduce your risk of food poisoning by cooking meat thoroughly, washing well utensils and surfaces, and keeping food cold and not spoil.
  • Do light exercises (ask your doctor what activities can be done safely).

Tags: , , ,


If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *